Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Teaser Tuesday! Saving Caroline ;)

Linny

The bar really does look magical, Jenny was right. When I came in it took my

breath away. Then there was Trick. He looked hotter than hell standing there in his

tuxedo. The way he looked at me sent a shiver down my spine. His eyes gave him

away. Lust. I swear my blood turned to fire as I had made my way to him.

“No glasses tonight?” he asks. He hasn't left my side since I arrived. I like that. I like knowing he's around.

“They didn't really go with the dress,” I say and he nods.

“Excuse me for a minute?” he asks politely.

“Sure,” I say. He makes his way to the stage and takes the mic. “If I could have

your attention,” he starts, “I’ll be taking donations now. Thanks so much for coming and

supporting the town’s food pantry.”  People start lining up at the stage to hand over their donations. I wait for the line to form and take my place at the end. When I finally get to Trick I pull a check out of my
clutch and hand it to him. A thousand dollars is a good-sized donation but I have the money so I don't care.

He looks down at it slightly bewildered.

“Caroline,” he breathes, “this is too much. I know I don't pay you enough for this  kind of check.” He brings his eyes to mine.

“I have the money, Trick, don't worry,” I tell him. He holds my eyes a moment longer and then tucks the check into the deposit bag with the rest.

The place is packed and everyone’s having a good time drinking, eating, and  dancing. The song changes over and Poison & Wine starts. I feel a hand at the small of my back.

“Dance with me?” Trick growls in my ear.

“Okay.” I offer softly.

He takes me hand and leads me to the middle of the dance floor.  One arm wraps low around my back and the other holds my hand to his chest. His  eyes are on mine and his gaze is wicked. He pulls me a step closer. I have no choice but to rest my head on his hard chest. I inhale and catch his cologne. It smells so good,
he feels so good. Our bodies fit, my soft parts melting into his hard. I move my hand  from his bicep to behind his neck and my fingers play with the slight curls at his nape.  I hear a groan bubble up from his throat. He gives a little squeeze and I relax into him. He moves us softly around in circles. “The Civil Wars” has haunting voices and Trick’s strong arms around me send a surge of emotions through me and I hold on tighter to Trick’s neck and tremble. He picks up on it immediately and tilts his head down and
kisses the top of my head.

“Shh, it’s just a dance, Caroline, just relax,” he murmurs.

That’s all it takes. If it’s possible, I sink further into him and let him--for one song-

-sweep me off my feet. And I feel everything. The slow circles his thumbs make at my

back, the smell of him, the care he’s taking with me, the love from him that seems to

be pouring from his chest straight into mine when we’re pressed close. Thump thump 

thump thump thump. Of course my heart chooses now to beat wild and frantic. My nose

stings and I can feel tears starting to build. I hold them back and lift my head to look at

him.

“Trick,” I pull his neck, making his head inch closer and push up on my tiptoes.

Our lips are a breath apart. I push up a hair more and brush a feather light kiss on his

mouth. We linger there for a moment together, lips touching, heat flooding my body.

With the song’s ending I pull away, instantly missing the feel of his mouth.

“I need some air,” I say. “Thank you for the dance.” He stands there wide-eyed and shocked, lips tipped up at the edges, as I move away from him.

Outside, the cool air feels refreshing on my skin. I light up a cigarette and inhale

slowly. Why did I do that? Because it felt right. It felt good. It felt wrong, too. No, not

wrong, that’s just my guilt pushing through. I’m alive, damnit. I can't be sad forever, can

I? Of course you can, I tell myself. Why did I live? Everything's rushing through me. I

toss my butt, throw my head back, and scream.

“I hate you!!!!” I yell to the sky. “I hate you for taking them and leaving me!

I Fucking HATE you!”

“Yelling at God’s not going to change anything,” Jean calls to me. I spin around

and face her.

“But, it’s good to get it all out, child,” she says as she comes to my side. I rest my

head on her shoulder.

“I don't know how to let the guilt go.” I cry.

“A little at a time.” She pats my face. “Go back in there to that strapping young

man now.”

I groan. “Jean, I need him to by my friend. I’m not ready for anything else.”

“I have a feeling he knows that, dear.”

“But I kissed him,” I say, pressing my fingers to my lips as if I can still feel it. I liked it. I wanted it.

“Oh hush. Just go tell him you got caught up in the moment.” she chastises.

I laugh at her.

“Jean, I love you.” I offer sincerely.

“Feeling’s mutual, kiddo.”

We head back inside together.

No comments:

Post a Comment